Character Education: September is COURTESY month.
In September students learned about COURTESY. In kindergarten we read Manners at School by Carrie Finn. We also learned about becoming a peacemaker. If you see a kindergartner flash you a "peace sign" that's our signal that they are a "peace maker"! In grades 1-3, we read the book, The Day My Mom Came To Kindergarten, by Maureen Fergus and Mike Lowrey. This story had a fun twist! In grades 4-5 we read the book, What If Everybody Did That? by Ellen Javernick. This was followed by a card sort game. Finally, 6th graders had a lesson on DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP which focus on using manners on the internet and social media, with a focus on cyberbullying and being an "upstander".
Books that teach courtesy:
- Do Unto Otters, by Laurie Keller
- Madeline Says Merci: The Always Be Polite Book, by John Bemelmans Marciano
- No, David!, by David Shannon
- Excuse Me! A little Book of Manners, by Karen Katz
- Llama Llama Time to Share, by Anna Dewdney
- How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?, by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
- My Mouth Is A Volcano, by Julia Cook and Carrie Hartman
- Pig Will and Pig Won’t: A Book of Manners, by Richard Scarry