• What Should I Do if I Get Injured at Work???


    • It is the employee's responsibility to immediately report an injury to their principal or supervisor. At that time the necessary forms will need to be completed and sent to Risk Management. See your department or school secretary. 
    • If you need medical attention following an injury, you should contact administration for authorization. If it is a serious injury or emergency, you need to go directly to the Weems Memorial Hospital.
    • It is the employee's responsibility to give their Supervisor a copy of their duty status report provided by the physician's office after each appointment. If the services of a specialist or diagnostic testing is necessary, your assigned clinic provider will refer you. If the authorized workers' compensation physician places you at "no work", you will receive up to ten (10) days of Illness-in-the-line-of-duty (ILOD) pay. If you continue to be on a "no work" status beyond the ten (10) days, you will receive workers' compensation at a percentage of your average weekly wage. At that time, you may use accumulated sick leave to receive 100% of your salary. 
    • If you are placed on "light duty" by the physician, Risk Management will coordinate a light duty assignment for you within your restrictions. If you choose not to come to work, you must use your own sick leave time.
    • Your employer has a "Drug Free Workplace Program" (see Board Policy 6.33). Therefore, if you test positive for drugs or alcohol at the time of an accident, you could jeopardize your workers' compensation benefits. 
    • If your injury occurs because you failed to follow safety rules or use of safety equipment provided by your employer, your worker's compensation benefits may be lowered by 25%, per Florida Statute.

    If you have questions in regards to your injury, the Risk Management Department will be happy to assist you at 850-670-2810.